Monday 18 May 2009

Getting started.

Well, i have done it. After several months of hard saving, and in the teeth of a recession, i have ordered my first fishing kayak. It is the Ocean kayak prowler trident 13. I should be picking up in the next week or so. Many thanks to the helpful staff at Kent canoes for helping me make the choice.
In the mean time i have been trying to get together some of the essential equipment that will make my time on the kayak safer. First up was choosing a personal floatation device (PFD), and once again i listened to the experts in at Kent canoes and opted for a "yak vent". This is a mid price PFD, but it fitted snugly and i was able to move fairly freely in it. It comes with 2 expandable front pockets and an inner mesh pocket, and is fully adjustable with reflective shoulder and side adjusters. After being dragged around the shop in it by the assistant to prove it fitted properly and wouldn't slip off, i got my wife to buy it for me as a Christmas present. To this i have added a whistle and a small back up compass. There will be more to come for example a safety knife and a VHF radio.
Next on the list is an affordable trolley to transport my new pride and joy without breaking the bank. it is almost complete and i will put some pictures up in a few days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment